You start with a 10-week basic course, the main purpose of which is to introduce you to the profession of food production.
We admit students with very different backgrounds, but you must at least have the following:
- Completed primary school and lower secondary school having passed the subject of your native language and Mathematics and have finished basic school at least 1 year ago.
- If you have not passed the subject of your native language and Mathematics, you can be admitted after an entrance exam and an interview.
- If you have a high school diploma/HF with Biology and a driver’s license to car, your basic course is 10 weeks.
The teaching methods
Our form of teaching is a combination of theory and practical training. The practical training takes place in different classes with the livestock, in the fields, in the greenhouse and in the workshop. The theory is communicated through classroom teaching, group work, projects and assignments, etc.
In the practical subjects, which we call practical teaching, you will be part of the actual operation of the school farm. Including being part of the school's production of food that you yourself will be eating in the school canteen.
Feeding pigs, cows and sheep is just one of the many exciting tasks the work with our livestock has to offer. At Kalø you also learn about the animals' behavior and how to ensure good health and well-being among the animals in the field and in the stable.
Fields and Machinery
The farmer's work with the soil requires care and traction. During the practical training you will learn how, why and when the different field implements are used and the art of maintaining a tractor.
Vegetables, Fruits and Poultry
Our greenhouse and open-air horticulture supply the school's organic kitchen and retail market in Djursland with a large selection of seasonal fruit and vegetables. You learn to cultivate the soil and care for the chickens and reap the fruits of your own labour.
The education-specific subjects are divided into the topics:
- Livestock cattle
- Livestock pigs
- Work safety
- Society and industry
- Fields and machinery
- Business-based teaching
In addition, there are a number of certificate subjects:
- Working environment by welding (§17)
- Basic fire fighting
- First aid
- Medicine handling etc.
- Hygiene course – handling of pigs